Bomb Hoax Disrupts Boston Marathon Ceremony
Abandoned backpacks caused a scare at the Boston Marathon ceremony Tuesday, exactly one year after the terror attack in 2013 that killed three people and wounded dozens of others.
Police found two bags near the finish line where the bombs exploded last year. They evacuated the area and a bomb squad destroyed the bags.
"They were just like, 'Get off the street. Get out, go. You've got to go right now,'" runner Shaun Steele said.
Police arrested the bag's owner, Kayvon Edson on charges of possession of a hoax device, disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct.
One of the bags contained a rice cooker reportedly filled with confetti.
The incident unfolded around the same time ceremony attendants were celebrating survivors of last year's bombing, who walked the 26.2-mile course Tuesday.
"Those survivors have become our symbol of hope and to think of what they must have gone through emotionally," running coach Laura Ingalls, from Newton, Mass., said.
Ingalls was at the marathon last year, guiding runners through the final parts of the race. She, along with others, were locked down at a restaurant Tuesday night while officials cleared the area of the perceived bomb threats.
"I'm really trying to calm down," Ingalls said. "It was infuriating."