A Wife's Guide to the Super Bowl
CBN.com The Super Bowl is right around the corner, and according to a recent poll, more than 130 million people will be watching. An average of 73 percent of men tune in for the big game. How about your husband? Is he talking about the match up between the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints?
Your involvement with your husband’s hobbies and playful side could positively affect the romance in your marriage. You might be asking, “What’s the bid deal -- football is just a game?” True. It is just a game. But, games bring out the amusement, drama, comedy, and enjoyment in all of us. That’s what makes sporting events so entertaining.
Celebrate Super Bowl XLIV with Your Man
Use these conversation starters as great warm ups during the days leading up to the Super Bowl.
Ask your husband:
- Which team he’s pulling for this year and why.
- His favorite team in the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC).
- About his favorite childhood football memory (maybe he played football in high school or went to a special game with his dad, his brother, or a good friend).
Be sure to listen up! There are tremendous keys to your husbands’ heart hidden in his conversation. These keys will help you relate to him, and they’ll bring a fresh sense of intimacy between the two of you.
Day of the Big Game
Mark your calendar for February 7 at 6:25 pm (Eastern). That’s when Super Bowl XLIV begins, and there’s going to be a fierce face-off in South Florida.
What should you do? Here are a few pointers that will get your day off to a winning start!
- Wear the colors of the team that your husband loves. You might want to buy a jersey, with his favorite team logo, from your local sporting goods store. Better yet, save money by visiting your own closet. Wear a blue shirt if your guy is cheering for the Colts. Wear a gold shirt if he’s pulling for the Saints.
- Prepare a special snack. Try making something that you’ve never made before. Don’t cheat and buy it from the store. He’ll appreciate it much more if he knows that you made the treat yourself, especially for him, for the game. Place the snack on your coffee table before kick off.
- Sit near your husband on the couch and enjoy watching the Super Bowl alongside him, even if you can’t stand sports; the game will only last a few hours. You can do it! Think about all of the romantic movies that he has watched with you. You might just find that you enjoy football too!
Score a Touchdown
It’ll take some creativity on your part, but I guarantee you’ll score a touchdown when you show interest in the pastimes that are significant to your guy.
The Super Bowl is always historic for one reason or another. This year is unique because some think Peyton Manning is the best quarterback in the NFL. While Drew Brees, the Saints quarterback, has led New Orleans to their first ever Super Bowl event.
Watch the game with your husband to see who wins. Then write your husband a love note (based on the winning team) that begins:
- “You’re a handsome Colt of a man to me because…”
- “You’re a sensational Saint and I’m blessed to be married to you because…”
Try adding some of these traditional football terms to your sentiments:
block, huddle, punt, interception, clipping, rush, referee, sack, score, conversion, clock, kick, line, face mask, off sides, penalty, review, incomplete, offense, defense, snap, fumble, out of bounds, guard, pass, tackle, half time, team, points, helmet, yard, play, holding, strategy
Locker Room Pep Talk
No matter what skirmishes have taken place in your living room around your flat-screen HD TV in the past, there doesn’t have to be a power struggle over the remote control any longer.
Try not to become frustrated over your husband's enjoyment of sports. Instead, allow his enthusiasm to work for you. Join your husband’s team and play with him, not against him. Without question, there’s nothing more important to your husband than you.
When it’s all said and done, Super Bowl Sunday will come and go just like every other day of the year. What’ll make the difference this year is that you will have taken the opportunity to place yourself in the center of your husband's world, showing him how much you really care.
Jacqueline Overpeck is a multi-published inspirational author who loves to offer encouragement to readers. Jacqueline and her husband, Arnold, are both CLASS (Christian Leaders, Authors, and Speakers Services) graduates. They enjoy the outdoors, and traveling in their spare time with their Maltese dog, Coconut. Visit Jacqueline at www.authorjackieo.com. Follow Jacqueline on Twitter.
© 2010, Jacqueline Overpeck. Used by permission. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the consent of the publisher.