During Monday's speech to AIPAC, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemned Hamas for renaming "a square after a terrorist who murdered innocent Israelis."
As the Palestinian Media Watch (PMW) pointed out, however, it was the Palestinian Authority, not Hamas, who named a square after a terrorist who murdered innocent Israelis. In fact, Itamar Marcus from PMW noted the terrorist Dalal Mughrabi the PA venerated was responsible for killing 37 Israelis, the worst terror attack against Israel in its modern history.
Here's the meticulous documentation PMW posted on its website.
Palestinian Media Watch has documented the continuous Mughrabi veneration by Abbas and the Palestinian Authority in recent years, both in connection to the square near Ramallah on the West Bank and in many other contexts. The following are 15 examples of the glorification of this one particular terrorist, Dalal Mughrabi. Five by Abbas himself, five by the Palestinian Authority or its leaders, and five by Fatah or its leaders:
- It was Abbas himself who defended the naming of the square after Mughrabi: "I do not deny it. Of course we want to name a square after her." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, Jan. 17, 2010]
- It was Abbas himself who on December 31, 2009 honored that same terrorist Mughrabi by sponsoring a celebration of her birthday. [PA TV (Fatah) News, Dec. 29, 2009]
- It was Abbas's Fatah youth movement that prepared the Mughrabi square for the ceremony. [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, March 8, 2010]
- It was Abbas himself who funded a computer center after that same terrorist. "Present at the event were President Mahmoud Abbas's advisor... inaugurating the [Dalal Mughrabi] center, funded by a contribution from the President's [Abbas's] Office." [Al-Ayyam, May 5, 2009]
- It was Abbas who sent his Secretary General of the Presidency, Tayeb Abd Al-Rahim, to speak in his name, and called the terrorist the "bridge over which we pass on the way to our freedom." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, March 9, 2010]
- It was Abbas himself who sponsored high school graduation ceremonies in honor of the same terrorist Mughrabi at which "the representative of the President [Abbas] ... reviewed the heroic life of [Mughrabi] the Shahida (Martyr)." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida (Fatah), July 24, 2008]
- It was Abbas's Minister of Culture, Siham Barghouti (Fatah) who defended naming the square after the terrorist: "Honoring them [the Martyrs] this way is the least we can give them, and this is our right." [Al-Ayyam, Jan. 11, 2010]
- It was Abbas's PA TV that opened its broadcasting this month on March 11, the anniversary of the attack, by praising the terror attack as: "A glorious chapter in the history of the Palestinian people." [PA TV Fatah March 11, 2010]
- It was not Hamas but Fatah, the party headed by Abbas, that decided to go ahead and dedicate that square after "a terrorist who murdered innocent Israelis." It was Fatah leaders who held up a banner that read: "On the anniversary of the Coastal Road Operation we renew our commitment and our oath that we will not stray from the path of the Shahids (Martyrs), Shahida (Martyr) Dalal Mughrabi Square, Shabiba (Fatah) students' movement." [Al-Quds, March 12, 2010]
- It was Abbas's Fatah Central Committee member Tawfiq Tirawi who said at the square's dedication: "We shall not submit to any threats, and we are here today to celebrate our history and our battle in naming the square after Mughrabi." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, March 12, 2010]
- It was Abbas's Fatah spokesman Dr. Faiz Abu Aytah who emphasized "the right of Fatah, of the Palestinian Authority, and of the Palestinian people to celebrate the anniversary of her [Mughrabi's] Martyrdom... Fatah is proud of Dalal's affiliation with it as a movement." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, March 11, 2010]
- It was Abbas's PA TV that interviewed the sister of the "terrorist who murdered innocent Israelis" on the anniversary of the terror attack and introduced her as follows: "Now, dear viewers, we move on to a glorious chapter in the history of the Palestinian people... Dalal Mughrabi, the Palestinian Shahida (Martyr), has become a symbol and model." Rashida Mughrabi, sister of terrorist Dalal Mughrabi responded: "This is a day of glory and pride for our Palestinian people." [PA TV March 11, 2010]
- It was Abbas's PA that held a soccer tournament named after the same "terrorist who murdered innocent Israelis." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida (Fatah), Aug. 8, 2008]
- It was Abbas's Fatah that held a summer camp named after the same Mughrabi "out of honor and admiration for the Shahida (Martyr)." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida (Fatah), July 23, 2008]
- It was at the ceremony of the Sixth General Conference of Abbas's Fatah movement that Fatah leaders responded with applause when former PA Prime Minister Abu Alaa (Ahmad Qurei) honored Mughrabi and her co-terrorists: "We have in our midst the hero Khaled Abu-Usbah, hero of the operation [terror attack] led by the Shahida (Martyr) Dalal Mughrabi [applause]. We salute him and welcome him. And [we salute] the hero, the Shahida (Martyr) Dalal. [He shouts:] All the glory! All the glory! All the glory! All the sisters here are Dalal's sisters." [PA TV (Fatah), Aug. 4, 2009]
Most of the above terror glorification by Abbas and Fatah has happened in the last few months, and it has all happened in the last two and a half years under Abbas. All this has been reported by Palestinian Media Watch. Yet tragically, people in the U.S. State Department are not giving Secretary of State Clinton accurate information about PA Chairman Abbas.
When Hamas is condemned for the terror glorification that is the fault of Abbas and the PA, the message to the Palestinian leadership is that it can continue with its incitement to hatred and violence without consequences. If not immediately rectified, this message to the Palestinian Authority from the United States will have devastating implications for peace.