Collagen, the most abundant protein in our bodies, keeps us healthy in dozens of ways. It keeps our skin firm and tight. It's the "glue" that helps hold the body together by making our joints and tendons work properly. Collagen boosts the immune system and protects our digestive tract.
Our bodies naturally make collagen. However, as we age, our bodies produce less collagen. That can lead to wrinkled, saggy skin. Collagen depletion can also cause joint problems, a leaky gut, autoimmune issues and more.
In addition to normal aging, we accelerate our collagen loss with a high sugar diet, smoking, and too much sun.
Dr. Josh Axe, who founded one of the world's most popular natural health websites and wrote the book Keto Diet, says the good news is we can put back the collagen by consuming bone broth and other healthy foods and supplements.
WATCH ABOVE: Pat Robertson talks with Dr. Josh Axe about the health benefits of collagen on Thursday's 700 Club.
Bone Broth Recipe
- Purchase meats containing bones, such as whole chickens. After eating the meat, save the bones.
- When you've accumulated a couple of pounds of bones, toss them in a slow cooker and cover with water.
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and let sit for one hour.
- Then add a carrot, two celery sticks, and a small onion.
- Cook on low for 24 hours for chicken bones, 48 for beef.
- Discard the bones and vegetables. Pour the broth through a fine-mesh strainer and enjoy.