WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump nominated 10 people Monday for the lower federal courts.
"These 10 individuals that the president has chosen, were chosen for their deep knowledge of the law and their commitment to uphold constitutional principles," said White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
The White House announced that Justice Joan Larsen of Michigan and Justice David Stras of Minnesota are slated to fill the opens seats on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th and 8th circuits. Both have been pegged as potential nominees for the Supreme Court.
Conservative groups like Judicial Crisis Network praised the president's nominees. Their chief counsel, Carrie Severino, told CBN News that Trump is knocking it out of the park by fulfilling his campaign promise to appoint strong, principled judges.
"These people will be serving for the rest of their lives," she noted. It's life term. It's generations of impact on American law, so seeing a president who makes that a priority is refreshing," she told CBN News.
"We saw right out the gate with Justice (Neil) Gorsuch was a big fulfillment of that campaign promise, but these are also incredibly important steps in that process," she added.
Trump's hailed the confirmation of Gorsuch as a key achievement in his first 100 days in office and odds are the new list of nominees will follow along the same lines as Gorsuch, which could reshape the federal judiciary.
Democrats removed the filibuster for lower court nominees back in 2013, so Trump's picks are expected to have a smooth approval process in the Republican-controlled Senate. The White House has more than 100 openings to fill on the lower federal courts.
All 10 Nominees:
- Michigan Supreme Court Justice Joan Larsen – nominated to Cincinnati 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- Minnesota Supreme Court Justice David Stras – nominated to St. Louis 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- Josh Bush, Kentucky-based lawyer – nominated to 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- Amy Coney Barrett, Notre Dame law professor – nominated Chicago 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- Dabney Friedrich, former U.S. sentencing commission – nominated to Federal Court in Washington D.C.
- U.S. Magistrate Judge Terry Moorer – nominated to Federal Court in Middle District of Alabama
- Kevin Newsom, Alabama lawyer – nominated to Atlanta 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- David Nye, Idaho State Judge – nominated Idaho Federal Court
- Damien Schiff, lawyer with Pacific Legal Foundation – nominated to U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Scott Palk, assistant law dean at University of Oklahoma – nominated to Federal Court in Western District of Oklahoma